There is a Verse of Scripture that says, “A man that must have friends, must show himself friendly”. This verse addresses the fact that we all need to have friends, but once we have a friend we must maintain the friendship and build a strong relationship.
Friends are great to have, their importance cannot be overestimated. From the very earliest stages of life, friendship has been a natural part of the human condition. If you need to ask yourself why you need friends, then I will give you some great reasons why having friends is not only necessary. It is a positive aspect of our lives.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 New King James Version (NKJV).
The Value of a Friend : Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. 10 For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up.11 Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm; but how can one be warm alone? 12 Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
Let us notice a couple of things in these verses with regards to friendship:
– Being a lone ranger benefits no one, all that results is loneliness. It makes us sad. We might feel an emptiness. We may be filled with a longing for contact. We feel isolated, distanced from others, deprived. These feelings tear away at our emotional well-being.
- There are benefits [rewards, gains] to having a good friend. When times of discouragement comes, set backs, and other issues, friends know how to pick up each other.
But having no friends makes it really hard to pick yourself back up in a hurry.
- They show you who you are.
- You have a shoulder to lean on.
- A friend can help to keep you in line.
- Having friends will assist you in expanding your social circle.
- You are able to develop a core among whom you can share, and build trust.
Studies show people with fewer friends tend to die sooner after having a heart attack than people with a strong social network. Having lots of friends may even reduce your chance of catching a cold.
“People with social support have fewer cardiovascular problems and immune problems, and lower levels of cortisol — a stress hormone,” says Tasha R. Howe, PhD, associate professor of psychology at Humboldt State University.
So my encouragement to you is build great friendships. A great friendship goes a long way.
Proverbs 18:24 NIV. One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
Proverbs 27:5-6 NIV. Better is open rebuke than hidden love.